Anteverted Uterus

Definition - What does Anteverted Uterus mean?

An anteverted uterus refers to the normal position of the uterus that is tilted forward towards the belly. A greater proportion (>75%) of women have an anteverted (or tipped forward) uterus, whereas the remaining 25% have a retroverted uterus (one that is tilted backward towards the spine). With the exception of extreme cases, a forward tipped uterus does not generally interfere with pregnancy or with the ability of the sperm to find their way into the uterus and fallopian tubes to allow for conception to occur.

FertilitySmarts explains Anteverted Uterus

The uterus has 3 parts. The upper portion is the fundus, the mid part is the body, and the lower portion is the cervix. The normal position of the uterus is anteverted (the cervix is bent forward) and anteflexed (body of the uterus is tilted forward relative to the cervix). Various bands of tough, fibrous tissue (called ligaments) maintain the uterus in its normal anteverted position. What causes an anteverted uterus is not known. It is probably the result of the normal structure of the body and growth and development of different organs. Doctors consider an anteverted uterus to be a normal anatomical variation. Sometimes, when the normal supports of the uterus weaken during delivery (mostly cesarean), it causes the uterus to tilt forward.

Although a retroverted uterus can cause pain during sexual intercourse and pelvic pain, an anteverted uterus usually does not have any symptoms, unless it is profoundly tipped forward. In severe cases, the uterus can fold in on itself, which forces its upper portion up against the urinary bladder. This can result in discomfort while emptying the bladder, retention of urine, and pelvic pain.

Normally, an anteverted uterus does not interfere with pregnancy or fertility. Only in severe cases, an anteverted uterus can interfere with pregnancy, as the fetus may not find enough room to grow in the crammed organ. This degree of anteflexion can be a critical issue for women who plan on conceiving.

An anteverted uterus can be diagnosed via a pelvic examination. It is easy to palpate the outline of an anteverted uterus between the two hands. In extreme cases, a doctor might find it difficult to insert a tool and examine the cervix.

Share this: