Note: This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please see our disclosures here.
Gift Ideas For Someone Experiencing Infertility
Love, understanding, and listening are what someone experiencing infertility really needs; a little gift can be a cherry on top.
It isn't always easy to know how to support a friend or loved one who experiences infertility. It can be truly difficult to know how best to offer support. Asking how they'd like to be supported is our first suggestion, but reaching out with a thoughtful or practical gift can certainly be appreciated.
The Unofficial Dos and Don'ts
If you are thinking that a gift is a good idea, here are some guidelines that we suggest:
- Recognize that infertility is very personal. Humorous or whimsical gifts may not be appreciated by everyone.
- Consider your relationship with the recipient. Are you in the "inner circle" or a co-worker? This is a good indicator of how personal or specific to get.
- Play it safe. If ever in doubt, "thinking of you" is a pretty safe approach.
- For-when-you-get-pregnant gifts. Not recommended for anyone. At any time. Ever.
- Nothing for a future baby. Save that for after a pregnancy is confirmed.
- Anything never-give-up themed. Sometimes people need to decide to stop treatment and move on because it is the best decision for them.
- Give anything advice-related. Skip the self-improvement books or supplements that your best friend's sister used. Unsolicited advice (in any form) is never a good idea.
So what might work? Here are some of our suggestions for gifts that someone on a fertility journey who may be trying to conceive, undergoing treatment like IUI or IVF, may find helpful or touching.
Attatoy Plush Uterus
One in Eight Infertility Awareness Shirt
IVF Meds Bag
My Fertility Journal
Blankiegram Hugs Blanket
You Are Loved Mug
Morse Code Hope Bracelet
Thinking of You Care Package
Do you know of a product we should consider? Let us know about it.